Study in Japan


Research Student Scholarship

Japanese Government Research Student Scholarship
Program for 2024 - Palestinian Citizens

The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) of Japan offers scholarships to international students who wish to study in graduate courses at Japanese universities either as Research Students (Either non-Degree students or regular students) under the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Program 2024.

NOTE: (Undergraduate MEXT Scholarship is not offered in Palestine) 

Kindly Read the Guidelines of the 2024 Program before applying.

To apply for the Japanese Government MEXT 2024 (Research Student Scholarship) visit the following link:    [ CLOSED! ]

Here is the Selection Schedule in Palestine for the 
Japanese Government MEXT 2024 (Research Student Scholarship):  Selection Schedule 

Information about Higher Education in Japan

1. Types of Schools

◆About 700 universities in Japan, including national, public and private ones

◆Length of study is 4 years (medicine, dentistry and veterinary science department requires 6 years of study)

◆Length of study depends on whether you are matriculated in a master’s program or doctor’s program:
(1)Master’s program lasts for 2 years 
(2)Doctor’s program lasts for 5 years. 

◆Generally, the doctor’s program is divided into the first period (2 years; applicable to the above-mentioned master’s program) and the latter period (3 years). However, the length of study for the doctor’s program in medicine, dentistry and veterinary science is 4 years. Some universities offer doctor’s programs covering the full 5 years while others offer only the final 3 years.

◆The length of study is 2 years or 3 years

◆The majority of department is those related to home economics, humanities, education and sociology

◆They offer post secondary courses

◆They provide vocational education as well as education in the skills, technology and knowledge needed in life

◆The length of study is 2 years (sometimes 1 year)

◆They provide junior high school graduate with 5 years (5 and a half years for merchant shipping courses) of education.

◆They offer courses related to engineering, merchant shipping and so on

  • a) Universities (Undergraduate)

  • b) Graduate Schools

  • c) Junior Colleges

  • d) Specialized Training College

  • e) Colleges of Technology

2. General Qualifications for Admission for Foreigners

◆A student who has completed his / her secondary education and school education for 12 years or more outside of Japan

◆Those who have qualifications such as an International Baccalaureate or Abitur and are aged at least 18 years

◆A student who has completed prescribed courses at an institute of higher education outside of Japan and 16 years of school education (18 years for those enrolling in doctor’s programs in medicine dentistry or veterinary science)

◆A student who has completed 12 years of schooling outside of Japan

◆They must meet one of the following 3 criteria and have the Japanese language ability
(1)Has studied 6 month or more at a Japanese language institute accredited by the Association for the Promotion of Japanese Language Education and notified by the Minister of Justice
(2)Is certified at Level 1 or 2 of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test given by the Association of International Education Japan and the Japan Foundation
(3)Has received at least 1 year of education at a Japanese elementary, junior or senior high school

◆A student who has completed his / her secondary education outside of Japan

  • a) Universities (Undergraduate Level) and Junior Colleges

  • b) Graduate Schools

  • c) Specialized Training College

  • d) Colleges of Technology

3. Japanese Academic Year

◆Normally begins in April and ends the following March

◆Classes are usually divided into 2 semesters: first semester (April-September) and second semester (October-March)

◆3 vacations during one academic year: summer break (late July-late August), winter break (late December-early January) and spring break (late February-early April)